Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Knotless Netting Amulet
Early Bird prices finish on 1st December, 2019
In this class you will learn the age old basketry technique, Knotless Netting also known as Looping.
You may choose to make a small amulet using leather and waxed linen. These small bags are designed to be worn as a piece of jewellery but originally amulets were something sacred or precious, imbued with special medicinal or magic power. You may make yours large enough to hold a mobile phone or small enough for a secret. Or you may choose to cover a gum nut using coloured copper wire.
Your tutor Anne Newton is a fibre & textile tutor and artisan specialising in basketry, bookbinding, box making and stitching. She has been sharing her skills and enthusiasm to play and create with children and adults for more than 25 years.
Found objects, natural fibres and recycled materials are the integral to her work.
Anne’s work is represented in private collections in Australia, the USA and Italy.
- The traditional basketry technique Knotless Netting.
- Variations on the basic Knotless Netting stitch
- The history behind this culturally universal stitch.
- A finished piece to take home
- The skills to adapt the technique to create different objects
- A piece of soft leather, no bigger than your palm. Any shape. • Waxed linen thread, if you have it, in a colour contrasting to the leather • A curved needle • Small beads, sequins or notions for decoration • A small piece of corrugated cardboard about 6 cm square or a toilet roll for a mold
- If you don’t have an item, don’t despair. There will be some needles to share and a supply of leather pieces, waxed linen & other threads for sale. • I will also have cane toad leather and barramundi leather available for sale from $7 per piece. The fish leather is large enough to share between two and beautifully soft.
- Material is available for sale, up to $25 for the full kit. • Don’t purchase anything especially for this class; bring it if you have it.
No experience necessary
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria to organise a refund or transfer