Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Rag Rug on handheld weaving sticks
Early Bird Bookings finish on 1st December, 2019
Fun and easy way to make a floor mat using handheld weaving sticks and recycling your old clothing /fabric. You will be shown how to set up the warp strings and after cutting up your fabric into 1-2cm strips , the weaving and the fun begins.
Your tutor Cathy Tobin is a textile artist who has embraced the philosophy of Saori weaving 4 years ago. It is a Japanese freeform style of weaving, no patterns to follow, no rules and encourages individual creativity. Cathy uses a range of materials sourced secondhand or gifted; ‘orphaned’ balls of yarn, fabric strips, sewing threads and so on. As an offshoot, she also began using the leftover fabric strips to create rugs on the handheld weaving sticks that are made by her husband.
- How to make a floor mat using handheld weaving sticks, and recycling your old clothing /fabric
- how to set up the warp strings and the best way to cut up your fabric into 1-2cm strips
- how to use the sticks and the skills to create different shaped mats
- take home the BEGINNINGS of your mat and the confidence to continue.
- The weaving sticks are yours to take.
- Let your imagination dream up further projects.
- Fabric scissors
- Material to cut up and weave e.g old clothing, t-shirts, old sheets, fabric remnants . (I will bring a limited supply of material but it may not be in your preferred colour scheme)
- Material fee of $ 20 to cover costs of sticks
No experience required
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria to organise a refund or transfer