Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Somali Finger Weaving - Alool
Early Bird Bookings finish 1st December, 2019
In this class you will learn the basic skills of weaving the Somali way. It is a form of finger weaving and in this class we will be using sticks and wool to create a wall hanging.
Your tutor Muhubo has been living in Australia with her family for about fifteen years. She is committed to keeping her cultural practices alive through teaching the Somali style of weaving that she learned as a young girl in Somlia from the women of her family. She has plans to make a business out of her weaving skills, the same as those traditionally used for making houses from grasses.
- How to weave the Somali way
- How to weave a wall hanging with wool
- How to neatly change colours and make patterns of your choosing
- Knowledge of traditional finger weaving techniques. Connection with local Somali culture
- A striking work of art to take home
- A set of instructions to refer to in class and at home
- $5.00 material fee payable to the tutor on the day.
- You can bring your own yarn if you wish – 8 ply plus
Beginners to advanced finger weavers. Strong fingers an advantage
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria to organise a refund or transfer