Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Contemporary freestyle weaving, Saori style
Early Bird prices finish on 1st December, 2019
If you need to hire a loom please email the Guild upon booking - email@example.com. Additional fees apply. The number of looms for hire is limited.
If you are bringing you own loom, please have it warped and ready for weaving.
Weaving as a means of discovering our true selves and expressing our individual creativity. A brief explanation of principles behind Soari weaving.
Expression of creativity without the conventional rules of traditional weaving, without inhibition and boundaries.
Be inspired by nature, and the use colours and textures.
Your tutor Amanda Ho is a Melbourne based weaver. Born in Melbourne and spending part of her childhood in Hong Kong, she draws on the duality of her heritage to influence her practice.
She started weaving while studying textile design at RMIT University in 2005 and discovered Saori weaving in Hong Kong while visiting family in 2008.
Amanda has since travelled to Saori no Mori (the home of Saori weaving) in 2010, 2013, and 2017. She has completed the Hand weaving Skills testing Association Grade 3 certificate and is in the process of becoming a registered studio.
Amanda runs private Saori sessions from her studio and has taught larger group sessions by request.
- Learn to think and design as you weave, free up yourself to express your personality in weaving.
- Learn ways of expression and inspiration from each other
- Learn to use a variety of wefts with different thicknesses, colours and materials.
- Students are welcome to bring your own loom, with warp ready to weave, and weft yarns. For beginners and, others without their own looms, there will be a choice of guild table looms (included in workshop fees) or floor looms from Tutor with additional hire fees). I would suggest the hire of floor looms for beginners.
- Tutor has 2-3 Saori looms and 2 Ashford looms with treadle set up (so working as floor looms) available for hire for the duration of the workshop. They will be warped with black cotton ready for weaving. These are not guild looms. Hire fee to be advised. Guild looms are table looms and do not have foot treadle capacity.
- Tutor can bring a selection of yarn packs for purchase, if you do not have weft yarn. Cost will vary from $5-$20 per pack. If you are bringing your own loom,please have it warped and ready for weaving
For beginners with no experience and experienced weavers
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria to organise a refund or transfer