Buy a Gift Voucher
Gift this class
Early Bird Prices finish on 1st December, 2019
The Takli is a supported spindle designed to spin cotton quickly and efficiently. In this workshop you will learn the types of cotton fibres available to us today and the techniques to prepare, spin and finish your thread using a Takli that is yours to keep.
We will also discuss and demonstrate the Book Charka - an accelerated spindle wheel- with an opportunity to try one out during the class.
Your Tutor Jane Fitchett has been spinning for around 8 years, but have always had an interest and love for the textile crafts since I was very young. I was introduced to spinning cotton through the Guilds Certificate of Spinning course and loved it’s uniqueness and I enjoy sharing how much fun spinning cotton can be!
- The types of cotton fibres available
- How to prepare and spin cotton fibre on a Takli
- Techniques for storing and finishing spun threads
- The knowledge of what is required when spinning cotton to create thread that can be used for many different crafts such as knitting, weaving and embroidery .
- A kit that includes a Takli, so you can continue cotton spinning after the class.
- The Simple and Effective Dyeing Techniques for Cellulose Fibres on Saturday 18th January, would be an ideal follow up class to learn tips on dyeing your cotton threads spun at this class.
- A material Fee $35.00
Previous experience in spinning other fibres such as wool
Cancellations and refunds
The Guild reserves the right to cancel classes due to insufficient numbers. If we cancel the workshop you will be notified and will be issued with a 100% refund.
If you decide to withdraw 7 or more days prior to the workshop/course date the Guild will retain a 10% administration fee.
If you decide to withdraw less than 7 days before the workshop/course date the Guild will retain 100% of your workshop fee.
Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria requires 48 hours notice via email prior to the start of a class or event for a full refund or transfer. Refunds and transfers will not be processed if cancellation occurs within 48 hours of the event commencing. We do not offer refunds for missed classes. There are no fees for refunds or transfers. For cancellations prior to the 48 hour cut off, email Handweavers & Spinners Guild of Victoria to organise a refund or transfer